16 October 2012. 10:14 AM. Walk - Part 2

Disaster.

I landed up at 9 in the fiendish morning to go for the meeting at Greater Noida. Went to have a little smoke. When I returned to my seat, nobody was around. On checking my phone I find 5 missed calls from the Branch Head, my ECD and my art partner.

My damn phone had gone silent.

So here I am, back to you, teaching you how to walk. Let's take it up from where I stopped. Run, I think it was I ended with.

Keep your eyes closed
Okay, this one is tricky, so pay close attention. I've tried it many times, and it doesn't always go as planned. So here's what it is. Keeping your eyes open when you walk is all very well. Everyone does it, and you should too. It's important to know where you're going, important to look out for things on your way; pebbles that can trip you, people that can push you, water that may make you slip.
But try closing your eyes once and walking.
When you open them, you'll find yourself in a place unknown. Sometimes in life, as you walk, it's important to take that risk. Take a blind leap of faith. Let your little heart be your compass, not your eyes.

Ask for directions
This is a rule I follow to this day. Truth is Mimi, sure as we are, sometimes we need help.  Sometimes we don't know where we're going, or sometimes we walk off the path we started out on. It is at times like these that we need people to show us the way. Everybody gets a little lost sometimes, it's bound to happen to those who walk. Thankfully, there are people on the road to point us home.

Pluck leaves
Mom will probably tell you it's a bad habit, and it is. But hear me out young lady before you shake off the advise from your old pop. When you walk, carry a big elastic bag with you. And as you walk, pluck leaves, pick up stones, scrap paper and put it inside this bag. The roads that you'll walk on will be unclean, dirty. Clean, as you walk. And it doesn't have to be your mess.
Now, for that elastic bag.
Look inside that bag from time to time.
See that dirty letter? See that wrapper that's gathered dust? That broken picture frame? The half licked stamp?
These are the places that you've traveled through. These are the things that have conspired to get you where you are today. Never lose that bag.

I think you've learned enough about walking for one day from me. Once again, congratulations. Here's to us walking together.

Your wise-ass
Dad







Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.