8 April 2014. 06:50 AM. "Time"

Hello love.
It's been a while since I wrote to you, told you how much I love you, and gave you an obscure but profound life lesson or two.

Work has been crazy Mimi. It's been nice, but crazy. You're too young to know it, but I've been getting home every day post 10 or so. Sometimes I come back and you're asleep, and I don't have the heart to wake you up. I just have to wait till the night gets over, and I see you the next morning.

I've been having a little trouble in my office about time Mimi, and that's what I wanted to speak to you about today.
You see Mimi, I'm a stickler for time. I reach when I'm supposed to reach, I set deadlines for myself and keep them, I'm seldom late.

But as it turns out, I'm an odd person out, at least in my office. And in most offices, from what I've seen. A couple of junior walked into office at noon a few days back, and unable to control myself, I publicly shouted at them.

Was it a wise thing to do? Probably not. But what was I to do Mims? I've taken them into my room many times before, made them understand the importance of keeping time. But nothing has changed. Sometimes, you need to shock and awe.

You're a little baby, and the only time YOU'RE aware of is the time you need to have dinner. But one of these quick days, you'll grow up to be a young, confident woman and you'll totter off to work. Reach on time. Because if you don't, here's what will happen.

You'll reach (say) around 11 or so. By the time you pour yourself a cup of tea or coffee, exchange pleasantries with your rat folk, it'll be lunch time. You'll sit down for lunch. The actual work will start sometime around 3. Which means, you'll just have about 3 hours (assuming you work till 6) to finish up.

And no matter what job you're in, 3 hours simply isn't enough to finish a day's work. Unless of course, you want to work through the night. Many do, so you won't be an exception. Only thing is, you can forget about having a family life.

Days are meant for work Mimi, and evenings for family. Always make time for both.
Manage your time well, and you'll see your life become a lot easier. Set deadlines for yourself and finish what you've set out to do.

And don't just do it at work baby. Do it in your day-to-day life, create mental to-do lists. I physically make myself one, but you don't have to. Whatever works.

You'll find that if you keep time, you'll stop chasing yourself in circles trying to finish on Thursday what you had to finish last Monday.
You'll stop wasting somebody else's time. And most importantly, your own.

Love you little bum bum
Baba

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

4 Responses to 8 April 2014. 06:50 AM. "Time"

  1. You are one of the finest Dad, a girl can have. May your tribe increase.May there be more Mimis. The world will be such a great place. Love to your daughter and best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am most certainly not the finest dads a girl can have. I am perhaps the most vocal. Thank you for reading, hope you liked some of it, if not all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always inspire.. As paromita said, may the tribe of vocal dad increase..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always made it a point to reach work by 9:30 a.m. at times even earlier. Ogilvy used to be almost empty. Met deadlines, attended meetings, managed to finish my work and mostly left by 6:30 p.m. My colleagues often passed remarks see me leaving at 6:30 "oh! ho! half day". To which i smiled and replied "chalo mera half day toh huya aur apka toh din bhi shuru nahin hua abhi tak! ab jao jaldi se apna kaam katam karo"

    ReplyDelete

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.